SRMC’s deep roots in Wellington, Kansas, stretch back to 1910, with the establishment of St. Luke’s Hospital, operated by the Episcopal Church.
St. Luke’s had its own nursing school and living quarters for its nursing students, and took care of its Wellington neighbors. In 1920, management of the hospital was taken over by non-profit groups and local citizens; then, in 1925, management was assumed by a Board of Trustees elected by the people of Wellington. At that time, St Luke’s became a municipal hospital, and a new and larger facility was built on the site to replace the original medical center.
In 1994, St. Luke’s merged with another area hospital, Wellington Hospital, to become Sumner Regional Medical Center. At that time, it was agreed that a larger medical office building was needed to accommodate the needs of the new doctors who became part of SRMC following the merger. The new office space was built in 1995.
Today, the 80-bed Sumner Regional Medical Center is one of the leading healthcare providers in South Central Kansas, offering advanced imaging capabilities, level 3 maternity care, cancer care, general surgery, residential care, short-term rehab, and a variety of other inpatient and outpatient hospital services.